DATABASE & COMMUNICATIONS TECHNICIAN
AFT Michigan is seeking an experienced and energized Database & Communications Technician to join our dynamic statewide union of educators. Integrating the use of data is crucial to our union’s future success, and the technician will coordinate multiple relational databases and communications tools used by AFT Michigan and our locals, including training and supporting staff and leaders. This position is based in Detroit but involves occasional travel across the state.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Proactively maintain accurate lists across the organization
- Develop, coordinate and maintain systems and plans for the use of multiple relational databases to enter/load data, match data, and create various reports and statistics
- Work closely with field and operations staff, planning and providing support and training as needed on data collection, entry/importing, extraction, and production of reports
- Provide solutions and recommend changes to processes to ensure accuracy and increase efficiency in close collaboration with leaders and staff across the organization
- Design and maintain systems to perform data quality control and ensure data integrity
- Increase our capacity to communicate with members and allies
- Manage and train others on electronic communications tools (e.g. Action Network, facebook, twitter)
- Help manage AFT Michigan website and support locals using AFT’s StateWeb platform
- Support staff and leaders using graphic design software (e.g. Publisher, InDesign)
- Editing and layout of newsletters, blog posts, emails, etc.
- Perform secretarial and office duties as needed to support the organization. The technician will be responsible for independently managing multiple projects simultaneously and may be assigned to act as team lead on certain projects
- Maintain operation of office computer network
- Maintain positive morale in the workplace
- Assist with preparation and administration of conferences and workshops
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
Experience and Skills
- 2-3 years database work experience required; VAN (Voter Activation Network)/LAN experience preferred.
- Strong analytic, problem solving, and project planning skills, with the ability to exercise independent judgment and discern priorities required.
- Union and/or political organizing background, including production and use of data and lists that support organizing goals, is strongly preferred.
- Some experience in Access and SQL writing queries, views, stored procedures, security permissions, and creating tables preferred.
- Advanced skills and experience in Microsoft, Google Apps, and other applications.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Willingness and ability to take direction and function well within a team structure, as well as to coordinate (and at times lead) the work of others on complex projects and campaigns.
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully in diverse communities.
- Willingness and ability to work long and varying hours.
- Willingness to learn new skills and keep current on the tools needed to support our members.
Competitive salary and excellent benefits commensurate with the contract between the AFT Michigan and OPEIU Local 42. AFT Michigan is an affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBT community and other underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Submit cover letter and resume online by July 10, 2015 by clicking on the following link:
As part of your application, be prepared to address how you would approach the challenge of supporting leaders and staff with varying levels of computer skills.