Date: Saturday, January 14, 2017 and Sunday, January 15, 2017
Location: UM Flint Riverfront Banquet Center, 1 Riverfront Plaza Flint, MI 48502
To Register, go to: http://aftmichigan.org/aft-michigan-upcoming-events-page/#event-registration-for-website/view-actions-details3/5833404e1e9a977c2b49c2a6
This year’s Leadership Summit will be different than past gatherings. Our main session on Saturday, 1/14 from will focus on figuring out “What is to be done?” as we face the crisis we are in and the challenges ahead. That evening, we are planning a community-building dinner with Flint leaders and organizers.
On Sunday, we will hold optional Mini-Conferences on maintaining membership in the open shop. The K-12 group will focus on alternative dues collection, specifically the upcoming transition to BillHighway, while Higher Ed shares best practices from membership drives and other key topics. If you stay for both days, we have reserved a block of rooms at a nearby hotel.
- Understand the crisis we’re facing as a statewide union
- Examine pros and cons of merger with the MEA for different constituencies and the state federation
- Develop a viable alternative path to merger to frame a real choice for us going forward
- (Sunday) Develop skills and strategies for maintaining membership in the open shop
Part 1: Saturday Leadership Discussion
9:00-10:00 Registration & Continental Breakfast
10:00-4:00 Where are we, how did we get here, and where should we be headed?
- How is our state federation currently operating and what challenges are we facing?
- Constituency breakouts to discuss possible alternatives
- How could we build a more powerful and effective state federation going forward?
Part 2: Saturday Evening Actvities
5:30-??? Dinner and Community Event with Flint activists
Part 3: Sunday: Constituency Mini-Conferences
9:30-3:30 Skills and Strategies for Maintaining Membership in the Open Shop
- K-12: Alternative Dues Collection: Transitioning to our new BillHighway system (for locals currently using PayPal or self-collecting)
- Higher Ed: What’s working in membership drives? (with afternoon breakouts TBD)
Travel Arrangements & Reimbursement:
- Registration is available here. We know the holiday break poses challenges with registration, but please make effort to complete registration by Thursday, December 22. We are not able to guarantee food requests after this deadline.
- Locals are responsible for making their own travel arrangements.
- Mileage: Recognizing the distance some locals need to travel, we will reimburse mileage at the IRS rate for members from locals located more than 80 miles from the event.
- Hotel: Our recommended hotel is the Holiday Inn Express–Flint Campus Area, where we have a room block through December 15, 2016. Rooms are $80 for King and Double Queen and $90 for King Executive Suites. Please reference group code “AFT” when you book, which you can do on the web or by calling 810-238-7744. If you participate in both days, we will reimburse you up to $50 per member in hotel costs for Saturday night (therefore, if two members share a room, we will reimburse up to $100).