The Association of Adjunct Faculty at Macomb Community College (AAFMCC) / AFT Local 6533, AFL-CIO and AFT Michigan are seeking a full-time organizer for the academic year 2015-2016 to work with elected local leadership to build membership activism. AAFMCC represents a bargaining unit of about 800 part-time faculty.
This organizer will work closely with organizing staff from AFT Michigan, our state affiliate. Primary duties will include:
- One-on-one internal organizing, including mapping the workplace, having conversations with potential, new, and current members of the local;
- Identifying, recruiting, and training potential leaders.
- Keeping detailed notes and managing confidential data.
- Communicating regularly with other staff and leaders to coordinate organizing plans.
- Motivating members and setting an example in organizing and meeting commitments.
Candidates should have strong organizing skills, the ability to work a flexible schedule, experience working with diverse populations, and have demonstrated union or community organizing experience.
This is a one-year appointment. Periodic work in evenings and on weekends is required.
- Grassroots organizing experience
- Higher education experience; bachelor’s degree preferred
- High degree of personal integrity
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Strong interest in and commitment to unions and the labor movement
- Familiarity with current issues in higher education
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including oral communication, listening, motivational skills, and attention to detail
- Basic computing skills, including experience with Microsoft Office
AAFMCC and AFT Michigan are affirmative action employers. Women, people of color, members of the LGBT community and other underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. Please submit cover letter, resume and contact information for at least three professional references in a single PDF file with your last name as the first part of the file name to Jon Curtiss at firstname.lastname@example.org. Using the subject line “AAFMCC Organizer.” Cover letters should include a short summary of your organizing experience and answer the following question: What would be your strategy to recruit members as leaders and build the organization in areas where there are not currently many activists?
Please submit applications by September 14. For more information, contact email@example.com