JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: MEMBER & COMMUNITY MOBILIZER
AFT Michigan is seeking a Member & Community Mobilizer to join our dynamic statewide union of educators. This position is part of a team that works with approximately 100 local unions across the state to build strong locals, develop leadership, engage community partners, and support public education. This position is based in Detroit but involves travel across the state.
The Member & Community Mobilizer will focus primarily on:
- Planning and coordinating an evolving series of organizing campaigns with AFT Michigan locals, such as:
- Increasing membership and involvement in an “open shop” environment;
- Statewide political fundraising;
- Contract campaigns;
- Ballot question and candidate elections at the local or state level; and
- Helping locals build a strong internal organizing structure and culture.
- Changing the narrative around public education by facilitating member engagement with our communication strategies (primarily web and social media).
- Building deep community coalitions bringing together educators and potential allies throughout the state around shared values and campaigns.
- Training and building capacity within:
- Local union leadership teams, and
- Statewide networks of member activists with common interests (e.g. political coordinators).
- Knowledge of creative campaign strategies and organizing approaches; campaign coordination experience preferred
- Ability to build strong working relationships with people from a wide range of backgrounds
- Experience incorporating digital media into campaigns
- General computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Office; database skills preferred
- Demonstrated ability to write and speak effectively
- Ability to listen actively and frame issues
- Team-building and group facilitation skills
- Independent project management skills; detail-oriented self-starter
- Self-reflective lifelong learner willing to engage in challenging conversations around social justice issues
- Five years of experience in a union or social justice organization; Michigan community relationships preferred
- Knowledge of PreK-16 education and labor issues
- Willingness to work long hours and participate in union-wide activities
Competitive salary and excellent benefits commensurate with the contract between the AFT Michigan and the AFT Michigan Staff Union. AFT Michigan is an affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBT community and other underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit resume and cover letter online at: https://organizers.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2gb5ri0crnz/aaak
As part of the application process, please be prepared to briefly address the following question: What was the most successful organizing campaign you have been part of, and what made it work? This question can be answered on the application page.
Applications will be reviewed beginning March 6, 2015.