AFT Michigan is seeking an experienced and energized Organizer to join our dynamic statewide union of educators and healthcare workers. Our team of staff works with approximately 100 local unions across the state to build strong locals, develop leaders, bargain and enforce contracts, organize, and work for social justice. This position will focus on organizing new members in healthcare, initially working primarily in Washtenaw County but potentially involving travel across the state. The Organizer will strengthen AFT Michigan by working with leaders to:
- Form new bargaining units, from building organizing committees to winning recognition to negotiating first contracts;
- Develop and empower local leaders and activists to build strong locals and handle union responsibilities;
- Develop and present training and leadership development programs;
- Encourage member participation in union programs;
- Build a stronger AFT Michigan and labor movement; and
- Accomplish other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Independent project management skills
- Leadership development and training ability
- Ability to work with people from a wide range of backgrounds
- Ability to listen actively and frame issues
- Knowledge of organizing strategies, collective bargaining, and contract enforcement
- Experience in unions or other social justice organizations
- Knowledge of healthcare and labor issues
- Engagement in the political process
- Ability to write and speak effectively
- General computer literacy and proficiency in basic data management
- Willingness to work weekends and evenings and participate in union-wide activities
- Experience in new member organizing preferred
Competitive salary and excellent benefits commensurate with the contract between AFT Michigan and the AFT Michigan Staff Union.
HOW TO APPLY: Apply by submitting a cover letter highlighting your approach to building strong unions, resume, and at least three references via email (with “AFT Michigan Position” in the subject line) to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning October 28, 2022.
AFT Michigan is an affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply.