AFT Michigan, a union of 99 locals and 35,000 members working across the state in PreK-12, intermediate school districts, community colleges, and universities, is seeking an organizer to help build strong local unions of educators.
Candidates should have strong one-on-one organizing skills, deep knowledge of the education workplace, significant experience working with diverse populations, and a commitment to a participatory and progressive labor movement. Work will be based in Metro Detroit, but may require some statewide travel. Position(s) begin on a rolling basis and are covered by a union contract.
- Strong one-on-one organizing skills
- Ability to manage time and coordinate multiple projects in high-stress situations
- Ability to work independently, as a team member, and to facilitate positive group interactions
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Basic computing knowledge, including experience with Microsoft Office
- US citizenship or other authorization to work in the United States
- Valid driver’s license and insured vehicle
- Immediate availability
- Education experience in traditional public schools or charter school environment
- Community or union organizing experience, particularly in the Detroit area
- Leadership development and training experience
- Advanced computing knowledge, particularly experience with databases
AFT Michigan is an affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community and other underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Submit cover letter and resume online by October 30, 2015 by clicking on the following link: https://organizers.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2gb5riysc8m/aaak