AFT Michigan, a union of 99 locals and 35,000 members working across the state in PreK-12, intermediate school districts, community colleges, and universities, is seeking a legislative organizer to fill a temporary position to help build strong local unions of educators through upcoming legislative and political advocacy campaigns.
Candidates should have strong one-on-one organizing skills, knowledge of the education workplace, experience working with diverse populations, and a commitment to a participatory and progressive labor movement. Work will be based in Metro Detroit and/or Lansing and will require some statewide travel.
- Strong one-on-one organizing skills
- Ability to manage time and coordinate multiple projects in high-stress situations
- Ability to work independently, as a team member, and to facilitate positive group interactions
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Experience with issue and political campaigns, specifically volunteer recruitment and development
- Basic computing knowledge, including experience with Microsoft Office and database management
- US citizenship or other authorization to work in the United States
- Valid driver’s license and insured vehicle
- Immediate availability
- Community or union organizing experience, particularly in the Detroit area
- Advanced computing knowledge, particularly experience with databases
- Experience developing and implementing issue campaign plans
The position is compensated through a weekly stipend of $650 with an allowance for expenses.
AFT Michigan is an affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community and other underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by January 4, 2016 by emailing Julie Rowe at email@example.com with “Legislative and Political Organizer” in the subject line.