United Michigan Medicine Allied Professionals, AFT Local 6739, is seeking an experienced and energized Executive Director to become the first staff member of our innovative and progressive local union of healthcare professionals. We are part of one of the fastest growing unions in the country and are looking for dynamic and forward-thinking leadership as we work to transform healthcare for the benefit of our patients and our members. The Executive Director will work with our local leadership team and other staff to:
- Develop and empower local leaders and activists to handle union responsibilities;
- Negotiate and enforce collective bargaining agreements;
- Continue organizing new bargaining units, from building organizing committees to winning recognition to negotiating first contracts;
- Manage the financial, data and office responsibilities of the union;
- Hire and supervise other staff members in the future;
- Develop strategic campaign plans;
- Engage members and increase participation in union activities;
- Perform duties as assigned by local leadership to advance the mission of the organization; and
- Participate in building a stronger labor movement at UM and beyond.
- Independent project management skills
- Leadership development and training ability
- Ability to work with people from a wide range of backgrounds
- Ability to listen actively, frame issues, and facilitate meetings
- Knowledge of organizing strategies, collective bargaining, and contract enforcement
- Knowledge of healthcare and labor issues
- Ability to write and speak effectively
- General computer literacy and proficiency in basic data management
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends and participate in union-wide activities
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- At least three years of union organizing experience
- At least three years of lead negotiator/contract enforcement experience
- Experience managing staff in unions or other social justice organizations
- Experience in communications and the political process
Compensation: Salary range of $100,000-$125,000 depending on experience, with excellent health, vision, and dental benefits.
HOW TO APPLY: Apply by submitting a .pdf file including a cover letter highlighting your approach to building strong unions and developing leaders, your professional resume, and at least three references via email (with “UMMAP Executive Director” in the subject line) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
UMMAP and AFT Michigan are affirmative action employers. Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply.