Senator Patrick Colbeck is leading the charge to erase history. Colbeck and a group of others recently helped rewrite the proposed social studies standards for public school students in kindergarten through 12th grade. A few of the egregious proposed changes are:
- Decreasing references to the Ku Klux Klan to a single mention in eighth grade;
- Cutting the five existing references to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People;
- Deleting the two references to gays and lesbians; and
- Removing references to Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 Supreme Court case legalizing a women’s right to reproductive freedom.
For the full overview of the proposed changes, check out this article in Bridge Magazine.
What can you do to have your voice heard?
- Attend one of five remaining Michigan Department of Education public meetings around the state to speak out against erasing history. Click here for locations.
- Comment online on the new standards now through June 30 Click here to submit concerns.
- DONATE at aftmichigan.org/pac. There are a lot of reasons to give to the AFT Michigan political action fund, but making sure Sen. Colbeck’s version of the Social Studies Standards doesn’t become the new normal in Michigan should be at the top of the list. If you are concerned, get active, contribute and talk to your colleagues about donating.