The School Finance Research Collaborative Staffing Calculator is a tool that allows you to compare the current staffing in a school building to the best practice recommendations developed by the School Finance Research Collaborative (SFRC) in two ways:
- One is to enter the name of their district/building and see the staffing levels reported for their district through the Michigan Report of Education Personnel to the research recommendations.
- The second is to enter their staffing levels and student demographics for a building and/or district and compare the results to the research. When you click on the link, the top navigation bar has three options: They are:
· The introduction, which is divided into three components, an introduction; instructions for using the staffing tools; and a key to the function codes in the Michigan Report of Education Personnel;
· The Adequacy Study Lookup Tool v.1: This is the calculator tied to the state’s Report of Education Personnel filed by each school district; and
· The Calculator Dashboard: This allows you to enter your own staffing and student demographics and compare it to research recommendations.
Please share these tools with your members and ask them to compare staffing in their school to the research. We believe it can serve as a needs assessment for their district to help set priorities for staffing up to better meet the needs of students. It will also give them a better understanding of why they should support the governor’s education budget and a full-fledged SFRC weighted formula to meet the needs of all students. It will also provide a clear point of reference for conversations with legislators and community members who ask “what would be different” if we were to push toward a full weighted formula in Michigan.