On August 18-19, we will gather at UM-Dearborn for the first of three Leadership Summits during the 2018-19 school year. Like last August, Saturday’s session will focus on helping you assess and develop the fundamental skills that all union leaders or staff persons need. These skills are never perfected, but can be practiced and improved over a lifetime. Specifically these skills are:
- 1-on-1 organizing conversations;
- Developing leaders and teams; and
- Planning campaigns.
This is the second year of reinventing our training and leadership development program to reflect this strategic focus. We had overwhelmingly positive responses to the “Power Wheel” and how it helped provide a sense of structure to our various conferences and are hoping to do even better this year. To RSVP, click here.
Optional Sunday Sessions
- LEAD: If your local is part of the 2017-18 LEAD cohort or is joining the LEAD program in 2018-19, you should plan to stay for a Sunday session.
- Union Administration Workshop #1: Financial Management
Hotel & Mileage Reimbursement
AFT Michigan will help locals defray the cost of attendance in two ways:
- Hotel: We will reimburse up to $90 per member for people who participate in both Saturday and Sunday or for those who are traveling more than 80 miles from the event. (This means if you share a room with another member, the full cost should be reimbursed.) There are many hotels close by, including at least two with union workers:
- Mileage for “out-state” locals: Recognizing the distance some locals need to travel, we will reimburse mileage at the IRS rate for members from locals located more than 80 miles from the event.
Breakfast and registration begins at 8:30 am and our opening session at 9:30 am on Saturday, August 18. We will go until 4:30 pm on Saturday and guests are invited to join us for the Administrative Board meeting that will follow. Sunday breakfast begins at 8:30 and Day 2 (LEAD or Union Administration) will conclude by 4pm.
Please RSVP for the Summit by August 6!