Saturday, December 8, 8:30am-5:00pm
Fairlane Center South, UM-Dearborn, 19000 Hubbard, Dearborn MI 48126
At this conference, our objectives are to:
- Help newer leaders establish a foundation of knowledge allowing them to feel comfortable serving on a bargaining team or grievance committee; and
- Allow more experienced leaders to establish deeper knowledge in a particular area allowing them to act as “local experts” on that topic within their team.
This conference is ideal for teams of 3 or more people from your local and we recommend that you split up and cover as many workshops as possible. Your team will be able to reconvene at the end of the day to put together ideas and strategize about next steps.
8:30-9:30 Breakfast, Registration & Resource Fair
9:30-10:00 Opening Session
12:00-1:30 Lunch (featuring a panel discussion on impasse resolution, mediation & fact-finding facilitated by Mark Cousens)
1:40-4:00 Workshops (continued)
4:00-5:00 Putting it all Together
Workshops (all participants choose one workshop):
- Collective Bargaining 101
- Contract Enforcement 101
- Preparing Your Case for Arbitration
- Analyzing the Employer’s Finances & Costing Out Contract Proposals
- Options in Bargaining Health Care
- Strategic Transparency: Communicating with Members about Bargaining
- Constructing Relationships Across the Table as a Lead Negotiator (current or future lead negotiators only)
PLEASE NOTE: Fairlane Center South is NOT located at the main UM-Dearborn campus. It is on Hubbard Dr, across the street from the A&W restaurant. Upon entering 19000 Hubbard Dr, it is the first building on the left side.
If you are interested in staying overnight, we recommend staying at The Edward Hotel (formerly the Hyatt Regency Dearborn), which has a unionized staff and is located just down the street.
Travel Support for Out-State Locals: Recognizing the distance some locals need to travel, AFT Michigan will help defray the cost of attendance for “out-state” locals located more than 80 miles away in two ways:
- Mileage: Reimbursed at the IRS rate for members from locals located more than 80 miles from the event
- Hotel: Reimburse up to $90 per member for lodging for those who are traveling more than 80 miles for the event