2,500 delegates from around the country gathered in Pittsburgh for the July 13 – 16 AFT convention. More than 75 members of AFT Michigan local delegations were actively involved as constitutional amendments, resolutions were debated and officers were elected.
Detroit Federation of Teachers Executive Vice President Terrence Martin was elected to the AFT Executive Council, joining David Hecker and Henry Ford Community College Federation of Teachers President John McDonald, who were both re-elected as AFT Vice Presidents.
Many AFT Michigan leaders were appointed to national committees:
- Civil and Human Rights: John McDonald was reappointed and Tashaune Harden, President of the Michigan Alliance of Charter School Teachers and Staff President was appointed
- Retirees: Arthur Divers of the Detroit Teachers Retiree Chapter was reappointed
- Women’s Rights: Jackie Goosen, President of the Macomb ISD Teachers was appointed
- Higher Education Program and Policy Council: John McDonald and AAUP-AFT President Charlie Parrish were reappointed
- PSRP Program and Policy Council: Donna Jackson, President of the Detroit Paraprofessionals was reappointed and Jeff Whittle, President of the Macomb ISD Paraprofessionals was appointed
- K-12 Teachers Program and Policy Council: Detroit Teachers President Ivy Bailey, AFT Michigan Secretary-Treasurer Edna Reaves, and Eastpointe Educators President Lincoln Stocks were reappointed
- Organizing: David Hecker was reappointed as Co-Chair
- State Federation Advisory Committee: David Hecker was reappointed
Congratulations and thank you to all who participated.