AFT Michigan is seeking an experienced and energized Organizer & Field Representative to join our dynamic statewide union of educators and healthcare providers. Our team of staff works with approximately 100 local unions across the state to build strong locals, develop leaders, bargain and enforce contracts, organize, and work for social justice. This position is based in Detroit but involves travel across the state, with a focus on organizing new locals and chapters. The Organizer & Field Representative will strengthen AFT Michigan by organizing the unorganized and working with local leaders to:
- Form new bargaining units, from building organizing committees to winning recognition to negotiating first contracts;
- Develop and empower local leaders and activists to build strong locals and handle union responsibilities;
- Expand local union governance structures to welcome new members in residual units;
- Maintain and increase membership in the “open shop;”
- Bargain contracts, including proposal development and contract campaigns;
- Enforce contracts, including organizing worksite issue campaigns;
- Develop and present training and leadership development programs;
- Encourage member participation in political and legislative action, professional issues and other union programs;
- Build a stronger AFT Michigan and labor movement; and
- Accomplish other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Independent project management skills
- Leadership development and training ability
- Ability to work with people from a wide range of backgrounds
- Ability to listen actively and frame issues
- Knowledge of organizing strategies, collective bargaining, and contract enforcement
- Experience in unions or other social justice organizations
- Knowledge of PreK-16 education and labor issues
- Engagement in the political process
- Demonstrated ability to write and speak effectively
- General computer literacy and proficiency in basic data management
- Willingness to work long hours and participate in union-wide activities
- Experience working in education preferred
- Experience in new member organizing preferred
Competitive salary and excellent benefits commensurate with the contract between AFT Michigan and the AFT Michigan Staff Union.
HOW TO APPLY: Apply by submitting a cover letter highlighting your approach to building strong unions, resume, and at least three references via email (with “AFT Michigan Position” in the subject line) to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning July 19, 2021.
AFT Michigan is an affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply.