AFT Michigan is seeking an experienced and energized Field Representative to join our dynamic statewide union of educators. Our team of Field Representatives works with approximately 100 local unions across the state to build strong locals, develop leadership, bargain and enforce contracts, and support public education. This position is based in Detroit but involves travel across the state and will work primarily with our locals based at colleges and universities.
Field Representatives are responsible for strengthening AFT Michigan by working with local affiliates to:
- Develop and empower local leaders and activists to build strong locals and handle union responsibilities;
- Maintain and increase membership in an “open shop;”
- Negotiate contracts, including proposal development, contract campaigns and negotiations;
- Enforce contracts through grievance processing, including arbitration, and organizing worksite issue campaigns;
- Develop and present training and leadership development programs;
- Coordinate with community groups to build support for public education;
- Encourage member participation in political and legislative action, professional issues and other union programs;
- Build a stronger AFT Michigan and labor movement; and
- Accomplish other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Independent project management skills
- Leadership development and training ability
- Ability to work with people from a wide range of backgrounds
- Ability to listen actively and frame issues
- Knowledge of organizing strategies, collective bargaining, and contract enforcement
- Experience in unions or other social justice organizations
- Knowledge of PreK-16 education and labor issues
- Engagement in the political process
- Demonstrated ability to write and speak effectively
- General computer literacy and proficiency in basic data management
- Willingness to work long hours and participate in union-wide activities
- Experience working in higher education and/or higher education unions preferred
Competitive salary and excellent benefits commensurate with the contract between AFT Michigan and the AFT Michigan Staff Union.
HOW TO APPLY: Apply by submitting resume, cover letter, and at least three references online at the link provided by January 9, 2020 — https://organizers.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2gb5rixtiu3/aaak
Cover letters should briefly address your strategies for maintaining membership and building strong local leadership teams in unions facing high turnover of employees.
AFT Michigan is an affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ community are encouraged to apply.