UPDATE: May 13, 2022: 77th Convention to be held virtually
The 77th AFT Michigan Convention will be held on May 21, 2022. We had been looking forward to gathering in person; however, given the increase in cases in our state, tonight the Administrative Board made the difficult decision to hold the Convention virtually via Zoom. Registration will begin at 8:30am, the Convention will be called to order at 9:30am and we estimate that we will be finished by 1:00pm. While it’s disappointing that we won’t be able to be in the same room, we will still have a great day full of solidarity and robust discussion.
For delegates to be seated, locals are required by the AFT Michigan Constitution to be in good standing as of the date of the Convention, which requires being paid up on per caps through February 2022, and having a list of officers, current Constitution, and most recent financial review or audit on file with AFT Michigan. Please have everything into our office by Friday, May 13 to ensure your local is in good standing.
Each local is entitled to a certain number of delegates based on per capita dues paid to AFT Michigan from January 2021 through December 2021 and to nominate delegates to participate on convention committees (Constitutional Amendments, Resolutions & Legislation, Human Rights, Nominations & Elections, and Credentials). If your local has an issue it feels strongly about, you are invited to submit a resolution you would like the delegates from around the state to consider. Our staff is available to help you navigate the process, formatting, etc. — please email email@example.com for assistance or to submit a resolution.
Once you have logged in, you will see the total number of AFT Michigan Convention delegates that your local is allotted as well as the number that have already been registered. Please click the “Add Delegates” tab to begin adding your local’s elected delegates and alternate delegates, beginning with your “Ranking Delegate.” As you add each delegate, they can also be assigned to Convention Committees.
Please note that all delegates require the signature of two elected officers to be properly credentialed for Convention; however, it is not necessary for both officers to be in the same location to provide the needed signatures. One officer can sign into the Leadership Portal, add the names of the delegates, and sign their name. The second officer can then sign into the Portal from their own device to add the second necessary signature to each delegate. If you have any issues accessing the Leadership Portal, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
APRIL 11 – DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF PROPOSED CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS
APRIL 29 – DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF:
- CREDENTIALS & NOMINATIONS OF DELEGATES WHO ARE TO SERVE ON CONVENTION COMMITTEES
- RESOLUTIONS (ONLY CONVENTION COMMITTEES MAY INTRODUCE RESOLUTIONS AFTER THIS DATE)
- PER CAPITA DUES THROUGH DECEMBER 2021 FOR DELEGATES TO BE CERTIFIED (TO ACTUALLY BE SEATED AT THE CONVENTION, A LOCAL MUST BE IN PAID THROUGH FEBRUARY 2022).
MAY 13 – DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF WRITTEN OFFICER NOMINATIONS
MAY 9-17 – PRE-CONVENTION COMMITTEE MEETINGS
- 5/9, 6pm: Resolutions & Legislation
- 5/11, 5pm: Constitutional Amendments
- 5/11, 6pm: Human Rights
- 5/16, 5pm: Nominations & Elections
- 5/17, 6pm: Credentials
MAY 21 – AFT MICHIGAN CONVENTION
2022 AFT Michigan Convention Health & Safety Protocols
(Adapted from AFT Meeting Protocols & Approved by Administrative Board, 4/4/22)
We are committed to working together to provide a safe environment for all participants
Before the event:
- All attendees must provide proof of full vaccination by submitting documentation through the registration process.
- Within 12-24 hours of the start of the event, take a rapid antigen test. Tests will be available at registration as a backup. Delegates who purchase their own tests may submit receipts for reimbursement.
At the event:
- High quality mask/respirator (e.g. N95, KN95, KN94) must be worn at all times unless actively eating and drinking. N95 & KN95 masks will be provided at registration.
- To the extent possible, use outdoor spaces for eating and socializing during breaks.
- Maintain physical distancing whenever possible.
- If at any point you begin to feel sick, please notify AFT Michigan staff at the registration desk or email email@example.com and leave the meeting immediately.
After the event:
- If you develop symptoms or test positive for COVID-19 within 5 days of the event, notify AFT Michigan by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org so we can alert other participants. Your name will not be shared without your permission.
Please contact us with any questions at email@example.com or 313-393-2200.