AFT Michigan: Member Resources: Unemployment Info
Claiming Unemployment Benefits
- Basic information is available at the State of Michigan, Unemployment Insurance Agency website at http://www.michigan.gov/uia
and as a downloadable .pdf file at: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/uia_ClmUnempBenFactSheet36English_76381_7.pdf
[requires the free
Adobe Acrobat Reader]
- School employees are eligible for unemployment compensation beginning with the first full week of unemployment, including Summer months, if
- they have received a notice of layoff or
- have been notified that they will not be rehired in the Fall or
- they have not received a written notice of assurance of employment in the Fall.
- Apply in person at the most convenient office of the Unemployment Agency or apply by phone. For information see the 'Claims by Telephone' page
or by downloading the 'Claims by Telephone Factsheet' at
- Apply by Internet:
- Unemployed persons may report their status by telephone using the "MARVIN" system.
For information see
- How Much? For most school employees, the benefit will be the maximum of $362 per week. However, the benefit is based upon wages earned and School Related Personnel may be paid less.
- How Long? Presently, the maximum is 26 weeks. However, that may be extended by Congress.
s: Claiming Unemployment Benefits
links verified: 8.10