Full-Time Organizer – Macomb County, MI
AFT Michigan and the Association of Adjunct Faculty at Macomb Community College (AAFMCC) / AFT Local 6533, AFL-CIO are seeking a full-time organizer to work with elected local leadership to build membership activism. AAFMCC represents a bargaining unit of about 800 part-time faculty.
Position Description: This is a temporary full-time position currently funded through November 2018, with the possibility of extension in the future. Yearly total compensation for the position is $42,000 per year with generous time off between semesters. Comprehensive health insurance is available.
Primary duties will include:
1. One-on-one internal organizing, including mapping the workplace, having conversations with potential, new, and current members of the local;
2. Identifying, recruiting, and training potential leaders;
3. Keeping detailed notes and managing confidential data;
4. Supporting the local’s contract campaign planning process; and
5. Motivating members and setting an example in organizing and meeting commitments.
Candidates must have strong organizing skills, the ability to work a flexible schedule, basic computing skills, and a car with valid driver’s license. Periodic work in evenings and on weekends is required.
– Grassroots union or community organizing experience
– Higher education experience; bachelor’s degree preferred
– High degree of personal integrity
– Experience working with diverse populations
– Strong interest in and commitment to unions and the labor movement
– Familiarity with current issues in higher education
– Excellent interpersonal skills, including oral communication, listening, motivational skills, and attention to detail
– Computing skills, including experience with Microsoft Office and databases
AFT Michigan is an affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community and other underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed beginning August 11. Submit cover letter and resume online by clicking on the following link — https://organizers.